According to the Airline Route blog, AirAsia X, has tentatively scheduled to begin service from Kuala Lumpur to Honolulu on June 28, 2017 via a fifth freedom route with a stop at Osaka Kansai Airport in Japan. As reported in late January, the airline was recently approved to fly to the United States by the FAA.
The airline currently flies the Kuala Lumpur to Osaka Kansai route. Their new route from Osaka Kansai to Honolulu is competitive, with Hawaiian (A330), Delta (B767), and Japan Airlines (B777) all flying the route nonstop daily. As proposed, AirAsia X’s eastbound flight will be a red-eye and westbound flight will be the latest departure of the day, so perhaps their schedule will be an advantage for AirAsia X to attract leisure travelers from Asia and Japan going on vacation to Hawaii.
The route is scheduled to fly four days per week:
- Departs Kuala Lumpur – 2:00pm
- Arrives Osaka Kansai – 9:25pm
- Departs Osaka Kansai – 11:25pm
- Arrives Honolulu – 12:30pm
- Departs Honolulu – 4:00pm
- Arrives Osaka Kansai – 8:25pm (next day)
- Departs Osaka Kansai – 10:00pm (next day)
- Arrives Kuala Lumpur – 4:00am (2 days later)
The route will be operated by A330-300’s with 12 angled lie flat seats and 365 economy seats. AirAsia X will be the first Asian Ultra-Low-Cost-Carrier to service the U.S.
Are you excited about this new airline option across the Pacific?